About Me

My photo
I am brutally honest, super opinionated, and swear like a sailor. You have been warned. You'll either love me or hate me. I'm cool either way. All posts and personal photographs herein are © Copyright 2011 ArtemisJ. All rights reserved.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Hells Bells

You know, it's a little scary planning a wedding right now.  And by right now, I mean with the economy in a shit spiral.

My parents do not give me an exact budget.  So I have to guess on everything.  Granted, I do not want to spend $50,000 (which I am sure is NOT the budget),  I am a thifty gal.  You are going to pass out when I tell you how much I paid for my dress.  The exact dress I wanted.

I blew up at my mom the other night.  I think there was a full moon.  Or it could have been that I am planning a cross country move and a wedding at the same time.  Could have influenced it.  I tend to try to do it all at once and then get overwhelmed.

We were talking about the girls dresses and their shoes and she was like "we'll see what the girls want"  Umm...no.  I have worn hideous dresses and worn awful shoes.  It's my wedding.  I get to pick out what they wear.  Sorry.  I am top skate dog.  And actually, I am not sorry. 

I blew up at her though.  Of course, I felt bad afterwards and called her back.  I was fine until she tells me that the projected guest list is 300.  What?! How?  Why?  Well, all our friends and their families.  KIDS?!  You're inviting kids to my wedding?

So I calmly go on a tirade, explaining  how when I see a child running around at a wedding I want to box their ears.  I apparently hide my rage well, my mom had no idea.  She then tries to guilt me and was like "what about Kathy & Kikki?  They have babies"  Yeah, and those babies were not at Jenny's wedding last year...and they are super close friends with her - much closer than with me.  And they are doctors - they can get a sitter.  I totally lost it.  I told her that if some little fucker tripped me on that dance floor I would cause a scene.  Or if they started running around on the dance floor.  I know I would go into asshole mode.  I get annoyed at a restaurant.  Can you imagine me at my own wedding?   I would seriously throw a shit fit.  And if I heard a crying baby while I am up on that alter...do not think for a minute that I would not embarrass myself with a tantrum.

But I kept a cool tone.  I have a talent for that sometimes. Plus, I had already freaked out earlier; I think I did not have the energy.  She called me the next day and said "let's just write Mr. & Mrs." on the cards.  Yes, please and thank you.

Back to the clothes.  Yes, I have already purchased my dress.  It is on it's way to my mom's house.  will need some alterations, but it's perfection for me.  And I picked out the the girls dresses as well.  I did take one of the girls with me.  My future sister in law has already ordered hers, bless the little kitten.  House of Brides has incredibly awful customer service and are notorious for late, late delivery; so I told the girls to order asap.  I know my one girlfriend will slack.  I am prepared to have her not stand up because she doesn't have a dress.  She kills me.

In three weeks, I should have almost everything planned.  We have cake tasting, meetings with photographers and florists, and checking out tuxes planned.  I already have my invitations picked out and have researched party favors.

Yes, I am going koo koo clocks.  But this means that I can concentrate on setting up our home and finding a job when I get out to California.

8 comments:

  1. I remember when Chris and I planned our wedding. We went from me saying:

    Small guest list, no church to 300+ people in a big church.

    But I was a thrifty chica and we did our own flowers, invitations and gift items and no one noticed. Because I like food and drink, that's where we spent our money. Ahh! My dress. I still have it and still love it.

    I found the bridal company that does all of the actual sewing for the big houses and bought it straight from them. I felt like I had become a robber baron, lol.

    I adore you, you are going to be the most awesome bride!

    You get to be top bride because it's yours and J's day! I'm so psyched for you guys I can't even say it well enough with words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Setting up our home...

    Awww, that has such a nice ring to it. So happy for you and the J-man. It will be a fantastic day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ladies, you are so sweet to me.

    I think it is up to 300. Lord have mercy.

    I am actually thinking of making my own flowers as well. It sucks a little because I'll have to ship or do them at my parents when I visit. I'll figure it out. the way I look at it is something that I would really like would cost $100 a pop. I can make my own for mush less - even if it's not as perfect. I'd rather have that than settle for centerpieces that are just cookie cutter same as everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you accomplished so much so quickly! Great job. I borrowed my dress from a friend who had worn it 15 years earlier - no cost at all. It was beautiful.

    As long as mom and dad are paying, the guest list is going to be a bone of contention. I didn't have kids either. I reminded my mom that there were no kids at her wedding (and I already had 10 nieces and nephews). It worked, sort of. I had no kids and my mother scowled for the wedding pictures. LOL

    There's a lot you can do with flowers on your own. (I work for a florist sometimes). Find the local wholesaler - there are plenty - and make a deal. A few inexpensive baskets or vases etc can make a beautiful presentation. Email me for suggestions if you'd like.

    As for party favors, I recently received a favor that was a scroll indicating that a donation had been made to my favorite charity. Of course, it can be YOUR favorite charity, you can donate what you wish and no one has to bring home a little trinket they're not going to use. Just a suggestion, but I liked it.

    I'm so excited for you! Try to enjoy some of this time. When is the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I finally make my way over here and you're getting married! Sheesh. Congratulations. I'm glad I finally found you by way of Smarty. Mwah! (Oh, check out Celect's blog on wordpress. He's still grouchy and I love him for it.)

    Temper Tantrum

    ReplyDelete
  6. My children are of the seen but not heard variety, so I will expect to see them on the invite.

    I am getting an invite aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wedding and a cross-country move. At the same time?
    How cool would it be to get married on the back of the trailer as it moves all your belongings to your new abode.

    Road-trip weddings, it could be a whole new phenomena!


    Peace
    &
    Oh yeah, they already have Vegas. ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alicia - I think I am going to do my own flowers. The bridesmaids for sure. I am debating on mine and the centerpieces. I may run some ideas by you. It's not until Sept.

    Failed / Temper - I am super glad to hear from you!

    Frank - Really? You want to make that trip?

    Drunken - Yeah...there could be a market there. Not quite my style, but I imagine someone would be into it.

    ReplyDelete